Dear colleagues and friends
At the closing session of the 5th Theranostics World Congress (TWC) 2019 in Jeju, South Korea, we announced that the 6th TWC would be held in Santiago, Chile, in March 2021, symbolized by the traditional handover of the TWC trophy.
Unfortunately, as for most conferences, it was impossible to hold the TWC-2021 as an in-person meeting due to international travel's health contingency. We are deeply convinced that this meeting must be in person, facilitating the possibility of exchanging ideas, networking, and discussions in the same familiar environment as before.
We have decided to postpone the event and move the location to Wiesbaden, Germany, which will be easier to reach for most of our attendees. The new Rhein-Main Congress Center is just 20 minutes from Frankfurt airport, and hotels are within walking distance from the venue. Wiesbaden also has many attractions to offer, with the very nice historical part of the city, one of the few towns not heavily damaged during the war.
COVID vaccinations have been developed and approved in record time during the last year, saving millions of people from being affected and dramatically reducing hospitalization and death. In addition, new treatments have shown promising results in clinical trials and might hopefully offer an additional layer of protection, allowing us to hold the meeting as planned.
Since the last TWC in 2019, we have witnessed an outstanding growth of the field of Theranostics with an exponential increase in publications, new clinical indications, promising novel radioisotopes, and new treatment concepts. We are convinced that even after 10 years – the first TWC took place a decade ago - we are still at the beginnings of the exciting field of Theranostics and Radiomolecular Precision Oncology. Here are just a few recent milestones since we last met:
- The FDA approval of 68Ga-PSMA-11 and 18F DCFPyl for PET/CT imaging
- Positive results of the Vision trial with 177Lu-PSMA-617 in prostate cancer
- The emerge of fibroblast activation protein (FAP) as a significant target in the tumor microenvironment (TME) and of FAP-binding radiopharmaceuticals
- New developments on the radioisotope front such as 161Tb, 152Tb, 212Pb, Cu-64, etc.
- Development of novel, specific radiopharmaceuticals for targets such as CXCR4, PARP, HER2, integrins, CAIX, etc.
- New, promising concepts to improve the pharmacokinetic profile of radiopharmaceuticals, including albumin-binding molecules, pre-targeting, bispecific ligands, and others.
- Expansion of countries able to offer theranostic treatment to their patients.
2022 is the celebration of 25 years of Peptide Receptor Radionuclide Therapy (PRRT) in Germany which started in Frankfurt/Main in 1997.
There is certainly a lot to discuss and celebrate! Therefore, it's our great pleasure to invite you to the 6th Theranostic World Congress from June 24 – 26, 2022, in Wiesbaden; the 7th TWC will follow two years later in 2024, in Santiago, Chile.
Richard P. Baum, Frank Rösch, Vasko Kramer and Horacio Amaral